Four Steps to finding errors (wrong answer or error message) in formulas:
1. Look at Formula, Look at Range Finder
- F2 Key puts formula in Edit Mode and shows the rainbow colored Range Finder
2. Evaluate Formula
- Step by Step Method:
- Open Evaluate Formula dialog box: Formula Ribbon Tab, Formula Auditing group, Evaluate Formula
- Keyboard: Alt, M, V
- To evaluate just a single part of formula while you are in edit mode, highlight part of formula and hit the F9 key. Undo the evaluation with Ctrl + Z.
3. Look to see if Formula Inputs are correct (maybe a number is incorrect or a text item has an extra space.
4. If Formula Inputs are correct, maybe it is the Raw Data that has an error.
- Maybe a name is misspelled, or the names have extra spaces, or the numbers are stored as text.
Types of Error Messages: